If your iPhone 5 became unresponsive or not performing smoothly, then you can perform hard reset to get your iPhone 5 to factory setting. This will help you work iPhone 5 properly. Performing the iPhone 5 hard reset will restore your iPhone 5 to original factory setting and erase all data on it which includes pictures, videos, music, contacts, settings and applications.
You can perform reset either via iPhone 5 or iTunes. In order to reset your iPhone 5 to factory setting via device, you must follow the given procedure:
- Tap on “Settings” and then go to the “General.”
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on “Reset.”
- Tap “Erase all Content and Settings.”
- Enter your passcode (if there is one) and confirm your reset by clicking “Erase iPhone.”
Your iPhone 5 will now start erasing all your device contents and give you estimation depending on the apps you have in iPhone 5. Once finished, your iPhone 5 will be same as the new iPhone 5.
Alternately, you can also perform following method for factory reset iPhone 5 by doing a soft reset or a hard reset.
- Press and hold on the Sleep/Wake and the Home button at the same time for about 10 seconds for the device to reset. Shortly you will see an Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Check your device if it is working well or not, if you still have the problem then follow the above or below method.
You can also perform it using iTunes. This will gives you more option like backup your settings, email and apps. The process involves few more steps. Here is the method to do factory reset or hard reset iPhone 5:
- Connect iPhone 5 to your system using data cable and launch iTunes (if it doesn’t launch automatically).
- You will see the name of your device in left panel of iTunes, this will verified that iPhone 5 is properly connected to your system.
- If iTunes is set to automatically sync when the device is connected, then it will start syncing all data from your device to system. If iTunes sync does not automatically begin then press the “Sync” button at the bottom-right corner of the “Summary” tab in iTunes to sync all your contents.
- Once your content is backup, now you can head to hard reset your iPhone 5. For this go back to the device information page in iTunes and click on the “Restore” button. iTunes will warn you about what you are going to do. If you are ready to do it, again click “Restore” to start procedure. Please note that you should not disconnect your iPhone 5 during the process.
- iTunes will inform you when the iPhone 5 is restored, however there is few more steps to follow. You may then see a message saying it needs to activate – just wait a moment and it will then tell you that process is finished.
- You will find two options one is to Set Up as a New iPhone and another is to Restore From a Backup. If you wish to restore your settings, email, contacts and other information, you’ll of course choose the Restore From a Backup option. Select the name of your iPhone from the drop-down menu on the right side of the screen.
Once done it will take several minute to finish the process which depends on the number of applications you have, make sure you don’t disconnect the phone during this time.
Voila! Your iPhone 5 is now restored to original factory settings and all of your data has been synced back to the phone.